Thursday, January 29, 2009

Why tourism is a hoax?

A loy many countries include tourism as one of their major sources of income. Initially I found t weird, even after being in Goa! I mean c'mon guys, a few thousand people coming once a year and spending a week or two, isn't money enough to feed one-millionth of India. 

Also I always thought of the places that people visit, kinda silly(apologies for the politically incorrect statement, but nothing politically correct can state, 'kinda'). I mean yaar, Goa mein har jagah beach hai, so what's the difference, you go to Colva or Calangute. I do still maintain this view to some degree, though I wouldn't agrue for it, because of the overwhelming population  that I'd have to argue against. Also people going across continents, to see museums, and malls and other crap, which, formerly is a mind-bogglingly boring way to spend your day and latterly is found fucking everywhere. 

But Singapore has given me a wholly different view. Just open the site, www.visitsingapore.com, and you'll see gazillions of places suggested for tourists. The place is smaller than Goa, for crying out loud(apologies again!) and comparison to India is an something that you'd need a supercomputer to comprehend. Practically if Singapore and India were to somehow proportionally reach the same size, I would be approximately 4,715 times taller! Silly, stupid and nonsensical, I know, but a funny way to look at the facts, you have to agree. 

Haan, so the thing is, in Singapore everything is a tourist attraction, and I mean everything. And whether or not you thing that the historical site is historically significant, the way it is marketed, presented and maintained, you will stay satisfied.

Just yesterday, I jogged to the topmost point in Singapore. It took me about three quarters of an hour to reach there, from my gate!! But kya maintenance bhai! God level. They have these walkways, built of wood, circling the hill, running through pseudo-forests(the trees are lush green, but there's always a building on your far left, jisse saala poori feel nahin aati jungale ki) supported on poles, which are sometimes 10 metres high. Absolutely marvelous. Though it wasn't a billionth as fun as when I went to Chandrasheela(4000m above sea level), it's certainly worth it.

Then they'll have these forts, and museums and some totally weird buildings- there's this one building that reminds me of Wayne Towers(wtf??) and another one whose one corner is an acute angle, I'd say-but you won't believe it, about 30 degrees. Looks like a giant slice of cake from Google maps. And hosts of other things, which in their own way would hardly attract people. But in their presentation and maintenance, world class. Truly be, yeh log phodte hain.

I have more to write about it-I am sure of it- but I can't think of it right now! So later

Also, I just got news from Lokesh that our Sarath Babu, the Foodking fellow, is contesting for a Lok Sabha seat from Chennai. Ganju of course couldn't resist, and wants to help him. So here goes, Go Sarath Babu, next time you want to open up a cafe, may you yourself be the authorising body.(I know that was dumb, but I'm sleepy yaar)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am Arjun P. Kamath, and I am a nice guy to know.